As part of the Australian Government’s new Protecting Worker Entitlements laws, there have been several changes made to the Fair Work Act.
What applies now
Some changes took effect on 1 July 2023. They include:
- changes to unpaid parental leave entitlements
- protections for migrant workers
- changes to the way enterprise agreements and workplace determinations interact.
You can learn more about each of these key points at this link: Fair Work Act changes: Protecting Worker Entitlements.
What applies later
Other workplace changes take effect later in December 2023 and January 2024, including:
- changes to authorised employee deductions
- the right to superannuation in the National Employment Standards
- long service leave entitlements changes for casual employees in the black coal mining industry.
More detailed information about these changes will be updated later in the year on the above website link.
Other workplace changes affecting you
There are other workplace law changes starting from June 2023 that remain in place until the end of the year. You can read a summary and download a handy timeline to ensure you’re up to date: Upcoming workplace law changes affecting you.
As always, if you have any queries relating to these Fair Work changes, please contact your Arabon accountant.